Saturday, May 2, 2015

Lullaby No. 16 - Last Rites

August, New Jersey
The spirit of the poet had passed
His humanity as a standing reserve
Was some resonant representation
Of the mathematical course of love
A distilled omen
The impurities left to the airs
Specks like stars against the black
Mere appearances
Of cordial depth
I escaped the perfect solitude
That had sought me
Wanted me thinking alone
In the high desert winds of Texas
No muse to listen
See as I got close to myself
I always wanted someone to be watching
Someone to see the beauty that I saw
I was a traveler of depths
And nowhere was I home
But the great omen of love
Spoke to my spirit
In the passing of the poet
Until one winter night
In the late poet’s own home
The spheres they sang of song
And the gods they danced below
And I whispered to our son
That he was a bountiful echo
In the choral cadence of His mind
And see the spirit of the poet is within you
He can never die


Jason Greendyk, www.jasongreendyk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment